Our school is a ‘Safer School’
West Mercia Police and Shropshire Council support our school with the Safer School initiative. We are an accredited ‘Safer School’ and proud of our Safer School sign and certificate. The accreditation is reviewed every two years.
The initiative is a holistic, practical and realistic approach to school security and personal safety. It gives our school a clear focus on the subject and turns a negative subject into a positive one. It sets a minimum standard for school security.
"Following the past disruptive year, Mrs Prior and governors were keen to continue with the security/safety initiative called Safer Schools. Recently, Mrs Prior held a Safer School meeting involving staff, pupils and myself. As previously, an enthusiastic meeting with good contribution by all those present, including the pupils. During the meeting we reflected on any school incidents, updated the security/safety checklist and reviewed feedback from parents/carers and pupils. A thorough and positive meeting and the school was presented with a new Safer School certificate. A future annual meeting is scheduled for Summer 2022. Excellent work!"Ian Bartlett, Crime Prevention Officer, Shropshire Council.
Ian Bartlett, Crime Prevention Officer, Shropshire Council.
The essential elements of the ‘Safer School’ process include:-
- Implementing a security policy that the governors have adopted.
- Consulting parents/carers and pupils/students for their views and updating them on any progress.
- Publicity of Safer Schools to school staff, pupils, school neighbours, parents and prospective parents.
- Establishing a Safer School Group. This Safer School Group is a partnership of school stakeholders – Headteacher/Deputy, staff, governors, parents, pupils, neighbours, Shropshire Council and West Mercia Police.
- Regularly reviewing and implementing good practice and essential security/safety measures for staff, pupils, the site and assets.
- Educating pupils through the Personal, Social, Health and Economic curriculum programme or the Safer School folder.
- A daily procedure for recording incidents should they occur i.e. trespass, burglary, theft, anti-social behaviour, vandalism, arson, suspicious activity etc., both during school hours and out-of hours.
- Solving real problems rather than perceived problems. Prioritising work (if any) and reviewing action.
- If there are security issues i.e. vandalism, anti-social behaviour etc., the intention of the initiative is to reduce/eliminate the issues.